26 September, 2009

Living it up, 1845 style

Today began my adventure as a historic interpreter at The Farmer's Museum. It was absolutely wonderful to be back "in the field", working at a museum and getting the chance to speak with visitors again. To top everything off, this 1845 New York museum makes their brooms very, very differently than my old 1875 Iowa museum does. I'm not sure if its a time period thing, a regional thing or if it is just that the first particular broommakers at each museum did things a little differently. I am absolutely fascinated as to why these differences have occured, and if there is a reason behind them. Never fear though, I am in the process of conducting research on the side in an attempt to find out any logic behind this.

Also, this week I was elected as the leader for our semester class project. We will be providing the Oneonta World of Learning with a feasibility study, as they are hoping to open a bricks and mortar museum. I think this will be a great chance to step away from the public side of museums to see what it actually takes to put one together, and I am very excited to help all of the voices of my classmates channel their ideas into one coherant message. Updates will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment