19 June, 2010

One Week Down

Nine to go! I have officially completed my first week as an intern here at Mystic Seaport. It was an intense week, and I am using that as my excuse for having not written in a couple of days. Tuesday through Thursday we joined up with the new interpretive staff for their training, as we are considered new interpreters as well.

One of the biggest highlights of the week for me was getting to speak with the head "roleplayer" here. My experience with interpreting has always been in 3rd person, though in period clothing. Here, most interpreters are also in 3rd person, but in polo shirts and khaki. There are, however, a select number of 1st person interpreters who portray a number of characters from 1876. I can't wait to see them in action. I was very curious as to why they had chosen 1876 as the year to portray. I knew that it was the nation's centennial, and the telephone was invented, but I didn't realize what is probably the best reason. The whaling industry was in its decline by that point, which allows the roleplayers to explain the full breadth of the topic, rather than only specific pieces. I am also very interested to see how visitors react to the roleplayers. It doesn't sound like there is a "mandatory" introduction at the visitors center, and they wander through the grounds. It does seem like they do a really good job of working to make visitors comfortable though.

Yesterday I met with my project manager for our first meeting about my summer project. I get to do an evaluation of their new Tugs! exhibit, as previously mentioned. It is not something I have experience with, but I am really excited to learn. I think this is something that will be very helpful for me as a museum professional, and hopefully for them as they continue to refine the exhibit. If you're in the area at all, I highly recommend it.

The big job for this weekend is to study up on my sites. The Chandlery will be very difficult but at the same time not. The style of interpretation looks to be very similar to what I did in LHF's General Store, except about all things needed for a sailing voyage. That is where it gets tricky. I have no background or knowledge, really, of sailing, so I have a lot of objects to study up on. The big goal with the exhibit will be making it more than just a point and answer about the objects, and showing visitors the stories behind the shop or the things. I am looking forward to the challenge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment