13 June, 2010

Whaling

So tomorrow I start my internship, and I can't wait. Today I caught up on sleep, unpacked, and made a trip to the grocery store. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your perspective, its a two mile walk to the store. I've never bought groceries based on weight before, but I made it back in one piece. On my way I passed some fun things, like a voting hall, a late 1600's burial ground, and this interesting ice cream/seafood shop. Maybe this is the little Midwest girl in me, but I don't see ice cream and clams as complementary.



This afternoon I had the chance to get into the museum and walk around for a bit. I decided to stick with their 19th century village, and really had a great time. I only really stopped in a couple of buildings, but had really great conversations with the staff. It sounds like they are all really excited for the interns to arrive. While I was there, a demonstration was taking place about whaling boats. It was really fascinating to see, especially after having just read about the Essex and how her crew lived in boats that size after it was wrecked. Hard to imagine. The demonstration itself was extremely well done and I enjoyed it a great deal. I also got a hold of some brooms (groan, I know) and turns out some of them are from the Farmer's Museum! Small world.

It all starts for real tomorrow morning with an introduction, a tour of the museum, lunch with the senior staff and getting all of our reading materials. I can't wait!

1 comment: